Educating the Indians—a female pupil of the government school at Carlisle visits her home at Pine Ridge Agency. 1884. Prints and Photographs Division.
The Prints and Photographs Division preserves substantial runs of the following illustrated and comic weeklies:
- Harper's Weekly
- Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper
These pictorial publications contain a wealth of imagery reflecting social issues and attitudes of the late nineteenth and
early twentieth centuries.
Searching the Collections:
Many images for which copy photographs exist can be searched in the Prints and Photographs Online Catalog. Records for images
from the illustrated weeklies do not have their own separate category in the online catalog, but can be searched by name or
subject in combination with the title of the publication. Digitized images generally accompany the records.
The Prints and Photographs Division's copies of the publications are maintained primarily for reproduction and exhibition
purposes. The originals are not served in the reading room. To look for images for which no online record exists, onsite researchers
This is the man who tells his wife that “Woman's place is in the home.” Copyright 1912. Prints and Photographs Division.
- check the Prints and Photographs Division Subject Index (some images for which copy photographs exist do not yet have online
- use the subscription database HarpWeek, which indexes and reproduces Harper's Weekly
- view microfilm copies of the periodicals that are available in the Microform Reading Room (see Microform Reading Room home page). (Original or microfilm copies of the periodicals may also be held by other libraries.) Request access to P&P's originals
for reproduction or exhibition once relevant images have been located:
- Frank Leslie's Illustrated Weekly [December 15, 1855-June 17, 1922] Microfilm 02282 [P&P holds most volumes for 1885-1900; call number AP2.L52 <P&P Case Y>]
- Harper's Weekly [January 3, 1857-September 6, 1976] Microfilm 02231 AP [P&P holds most volumes for 1857-1900; call number AP2.H32 <P&P Case
- Judge [1881-1939] Microfilm 93/6426 AP [P&P holds volumes for 1882 onwards; call number AP101.J8 <P&P Case X>]
- Puck Microfilm 05422 no. 69-84 AP [P&P holds many volumes for 1878-1917; call number AP101.P8 <P&P Case X>]
Go to the Prints and Photographs Online Catalog (PPOC)