American Memory: Technical summary
Photographs taken by Carl Van Vechten (1880-1964), taken between 1932 and
1964. The bulk of the collection consists of portrait photographs of
celebrities, including many figures from the Harlem Renaissance. A much
smaller portion of the collection is an assortment of American landscapes.
- Source collection
Carl Van Vechten Collection
, Prints and Photographs
[Link to catalog record (z39.50 query) will
not work when main cataloging system is not available.]
- Technical features
Large number of portraits; image quality is moderate.
- Original material formats
- Number of original items
- Status of collection
- Available online as of November 1997.
- Public access
- The Library will identify the owners of rights associated with items in
this collection. See notes on rights and
restrictions provided by the Library to users of this collection.
Aids to intellectual access
- Type & granularity
- MARC bibliographic records. Each bib. record describes a single item.
bibliographic display in American Memory.
- Linking to digital reproductions
- Bibliographic record contains identifier used in filenames for all versions of image.
Last character of filename is feature code for image type.
Total file-space for digital reproductions:
||Filename ends "u"
||Filename ends "r"
||Filename ends "t"
||Filename ends "t"|
|Tonal resolution (grayscale)
Library of Congress contribution to Digital Libraries Initiative - Phase II