Civil War Monument, Myrtle Hill Cemetery. Photo: L. Shiver
Myrtle Hill Cemetery
This National Register site, begun in 1857, is the
final resting place for more than 20,000 people who have shaped
Rome, Georgia's history. It is significant that two of the seven
hills of Rome were chosen as burial grounds. Oak Hill Cemetery,
located on Lumpkin Hill, was established in 1837. By the 1850s the
citizens of Rome realized that more room would be needed. A tract
of 25 acres was purchased from Colonel Afred Shorter. Colonel
Cunningham Pennington, a civil engineer, drew plans for internment
on six levels. After several crape myrtle trees were planted, the
name for the site became Myrtle Hill.
Rome's early history of floods and river rampages
presented challenges to everyone, including the funeral director.
Boats were often used in removing the body of the deceased person
from the home to the funeral parlor during such difficult times.
None worried, however, that the final resting place of their loved
ones would suffer from the ravaging floods. In those days Myrtle
Hill was the cemetery most often used by Rome urbanites for the
burial of their dead. Myrtle Hill stood high and dry a century ago,
just as it does today.
Project documentation consists of text,
black-and-white photographs and a brochure.
Originally submitted by: Bob Barr, Representative (7th District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.