St. Stephens on its Centennial, May 1899. Coast Guard cutter Winona and steamboat Minnie Lee were used to bring visitors up the river from Mobile for the celebration.
capital of the Alabama Territory, Saint Stephens was originally a
Spanish fort, St. Estevan, in the late 1700's. Located on the lower
Tombigbee River in the ancient land of the Choctaw Indians, its
historical importance is recognized by historians, archaeologists,
and researchers. A graveyard is still extant on the site. St.
Stephens celebrated the 200th anniversary of its founding as the
first capital of Alabama in 1999. Project documentation comprises a
report of 22 pages; 7 black-and-white historical photographs, eight
8 x 10 color photographs, and six color slides with descriptions;
an historical records survey of Old St. Stephens,
and Papers of the Spanish Evacuation Centennial (1999); a
spiral-bound commemorative book commemorating the 200th anniversary
of the founding of St. Stephens, and a videotape.
Originally submitted by: Sonny Callahan, Representative (1st District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.