The Mark Twain House, Hartford, built 1874. Photo courtesy The Mark Twain Memorial
The Mark Twain House
In 1873, Samuel L. Clemens, better known as Mark
Twain, purchased land at the western edge of the City of Hartford,
in an area known as Nook Farm. He engaged the New York architect,
Edward Tuckerman Potter, to design the house. Mrs. Clemens had
sketched a layout showing the relationship of the various rooms to
views over the then open countryside. The house was completed in
1874, and the Clemens family moved in during September of that
In 1881, following the success of
of Tom Sawyer and several lecture tours, the kitchen wing was
enlarged, and the major rooms completely redecorated by "Associated
Artists," a distinguished firm of interior designers, which
included Louis Comfort Tiffany, Lockwood de Forest, Candace Thurber
Wheeler, and Samuel Colman.
To Twain, this home was far more than shelter. In
1896 he wrote:
To us, our house was not insentient matter -- it had a
heart, and a soul, and eyes to see us with; and approvals, and
solicitudes, and deep sympathies; it was of us, and we were in the
peace of its benediction. We never came home from an absence that
its face did not light up and speak out its eloquent welcome -- and
we could not enter it
Project documentation consists of a glossy booklet on the Mark
Twain House and eight 8x10 black and white photos.
Originally submitted by: Christopher Dodd, Senator.
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.