Dudley's Chapel, December 30, 1999. Photo: Loretta C. Walls
Built in 1783 on land donated by Joshua Dudley,
Dudley's Chapel grew out of a society organized in 1774. It was the
first meetinghouse in Queen Anne's County, and one of the earliest
surviving Methodist churches in the nation. Bishop Francis Asbury,
Thomas Coke and Richard Whatcoat preached here. Though it is still
not wired for electricity, it is still in use today.
Originally submitted by: Wayne T. Gilchrest, Representative (1st District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.