This 1867 Italianate structure was built by P. Dean
Warner in Farmington, Michigan. It became the home of his adopted
son, Fred M. Warner, who was governor of Michigan from 1905 to
1911. The first to serve three successive terms in that office,
Governor Warner introduced much progressive legislation. His heirs
deeded the mansion and grounds to the City of Farmington in 1980.
Since then it has become a museum furnished in Victorian style and
is open to the public through a program of docent-guided tours.
Current educational outreach programs tied to the school system are
being expanded to make the mansion a community focal point for the
teaching of history. Other plans underway for community utilization
of the mansion include a fall harvest festival to be held on the
grounds. The mansion and its history are documented in text and two
Originally submitted by: Joe Knollenberg, Representative (11th District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.