Poe Cottage, south facade, at its original location (now the Bronx), with Arthur Stoughton standing on the lawn, 1884. Photo courtesy The Bronx County Historical Society, New York City
Edgar Allan Poe Cottage
This wood shingle and clapboard farmhouse, built c.
1812 in what is now the Bronx borough of New York City, was the
final home of the writer Edgar Allan Poe. Listed on the National
Register of Historic Places, it has additional historic importance
as the last remaining structure from the nineteenth century village
of Fordham. In the 1880s, Arthur Stoughton, architect and the
President of the Bronx Society of Arts and Sciences, was the first
to preserve the Poe Cottage, restore it, and begin its existence as
an historic museum dedicated to the memory of Poe.
Poe lived in the cottage from 1846 until his death in
1849, producing some of his best-known works there, including "The
Bells" and "Annabel Lee." Administered by the Bronx County
Historical Society since 1975, the cottage is open to the public
with guided tours and a 20-minute film.
Originally submitted by: Eliot L. Engel, Representative (17th District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.