The Christeen , built in Glenwood, Long Island, in 1883, typifies all the characteristics of the Long Island Sound dredging work boat. It is currently undergoing restoration. Courtesy Oyster Bay Historical Society
Oystering on the Bay: Then and Now
The Oyster Bay Society has prepared a
half-hour video tape that documents the history of local
oystering in the Oyster Bay community. Oyster Bay was named by
Dutch navigator, deVries, during the 17th century. It is not
clear whether he named the bay for the oysters found there, or
for its shape, which resembles an oyster.
The nonprofit Oyster Bay Historical Society was
founded in 1960 with thesingular purpose of preserving the history
of the Oyster Bay community. The Society operates a museum at its
headquarters at Earle-Wightman House, 20 Summit Street, Oyster Bay.
The museum's exhibition rooms have been refurbished to interpret
two periods: 1740 and 1830. In one area, rooms portray how an 18th
century tradesman and his family would have lived and worked in a
one-room house; the other area is the re-created parlor of Reverend
Earle. On the grounds of the house is a restored 18th century
The society's research library holds more than 750
volumes, 700 manuscripts, 1,000 photographs, maps, documents and a
fine genealogy collection. Many of its materials relate to the
military, maritime, and religious history of Oyster Bay.
Project documentation consists of a videotape.
Originally submitted by: Peter King, Representative (3rd District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.