Reading in Child Development from the Dawn to Dusk series of photographs Photo: Julianna L. Hunter, November 5, 1999
Ohio University - Southeastern Ohio and the World
Ohio University was founded in 1804 and became the
first institution for higher learning in the old Northwest
One of nation's fundamental documents, The Northwest
Ordinance, passed by the Continental Congress in 1787, provided for
new states and the creation of schools. Some of the institutions,
including Ohio University, established under the ordinance's
provisions became early models of land grant universities. Once
established, Ohio University slowly began its development.
Early courses emphasized classical languages,
philosophy, and rhetoric. Scientific subjects were added by 1820.
The present structure of the university emerged as a result of
organizational changes implemented in the mid-1930s, and through
growth and expansion following Word War II.
More than 19,000 students attend Ohio University on
the Athens campus, and 8,000 attend its five regional campuses
spread across the Appalachian foothills of southeastern Ohio. The
university has ten colleges with approximately sixty academic
departments and schools that offer 280 undergraduate majors, sixty
master's programs, and twenty-one doctoral programs.
In 1997, the university developed its own legacy
Dawn to Dusk, which is a
community photographic documentation project, produced in the
School of Visual Communication. The 1999
Dawn to Dusk,
focused on the Athens campus, of which sixteen photographs are part
of this Library legacy documentation.
Documentation includes a 13-page report, a listing of
significant graduates, fact sheets, photo negatives, newspaper
articles, brochures, and photographs.
Originally submitted by: Ted Strickland, Representative (6th District).
The Local Legacies project provides a "snapshot" of American Culture as it was expressed in spring of 2000. Consequently, it is not being updated with new or revised information with the exception of "Related Website" links.