Arts and Literature Items List
POETRY AND FICTION
8 items available
- "The Village Blacksmith," poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, ca.1839, published in 1841 in Ballads and Other Poems (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Collection).
- Letter, Ralph Waldo Emerson to Walt Whitman extolling Whitman's poetry,
21 July 1855 (Charles E. Feinberg-Walt Whitman Collection).
- Letter and corrected reprint of Walt Whitman's "O Captain, My Captain" with comments by author, 9 February 1888 (Walt Whitman Collection).
- "Autumn," poem by Helen Keller, 27 October 1893 (Alexander
Graham Bell Family Papers).
- Letter, Philip Avery Stone to John Sharp Williams requesting support for William
Faulkner's appointment as postmaster at the University of Mississippi,
1 May 1922 (John Sharp Williams Papers).
- Drafts of Langston Hughes's poem "Ballad of Booker T.,"
30 May-1 June 1941 (Langston Hughes Collection).
- Letter, Ernest Hemingway to Archibald MacLeish discussing Ezra Pound's
mental health and other matters, 10 August  (Archibald MacLeish Papers).
- "Dedication," Robert Frost's presidential inaugural poem,
20 January 1961. Typescript with Frost's holograph script corrections in
ink and Stewart Udall's holograph clarifications in pencil on the last
page (Stewart L. Udall Collection).
PAINTING, SCULPTURE, AND PHOTOGRAPHY
9 items available
- Watercolor by George R. West of the Buddhist Temple of the Goddess
of Mercy, Macao, China, where the first Sino-American treaty was signed
in 1844 (Caleb Cushing Papers).
- Watercolors of Civil War ironclads by Ens. D. M. N. Stouffer, ca. 1864-65
(David Dixon Porter Papers).
- Charles Wellington Reed's pencil sketch of Abraham Lincoln at City Point, Virginia, 1865 (Charles Wellington Reed Papers).
- Illustrated letter, Aubrey Beardsley to G. F. Scotson-Clark concerning
James McNeill Whistler's Peacock Room,  (Pennell-Whistler Collection of the Papers of Joseph and Elizabeth Pennell and James A. McNeill Whistler).
- Illustrated letter, Frederic Remington to Owen Wister containing
a sketch of Remington's bronze Bronco Buster, ca. January 1895 (Owen Wister Papers).
- Letter, James McNeill Whistler to David Croal Thomson containing the
artist's famed butterfly signature and discussing his hope that no painting
of his remain in England, July 1895 (Pennell-Whistler Collection
of the Papers of Joseph and Elizabeth Pennell and James A. McNeill Whistler).
- Letter, Susan B. Anthony to Adelaide Johnson discussing women ministers
and Johnson's sculpture memorializing prominent suffragists, 8 February
1896 (Susan B. Anthony Papers).
- Letter, Elizabeth Pennell to Mr. Kennerley concerning Aubrey Beardsley's
1891 illustrated letter about James McNeill Whistler's Peacock Room, 3
April 1929 (Pennell-Whistler Collection of the Papers of Joseph and Elizabeth Pennell and James A. McNeill Whistler).
- Letter, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy to Toni Frissell discussing Frissell's
photographs of the Kennedys' September 1953 wedding reception in Newport, Rhode Island,  (Toni Frissell Collection).
3 items available
- Clare Boothe Luce's scene description of her play The
Women, ca. 1936 (Clare Boothe Luce Papers).
- Letter, John F. Kennedy to Clare Boothe Luce thanking the congresswoman
for a good luck coin, 29 September  (Clare Boothe Luce Papers).
- Seating chart for the opening night performance of Middle of the Night,
1956 (Joshua Logan Papers).
Arts and Literature | Words and Deeds